- Asparagus Quinoa Salad, atop baby spinach
- Carrot Stick with Protein Powder Hemp Hummus for dipping
- 1/4 recipe Mexican Chocolate Mousse
- Super Quick Green Smoothie
Asparagus Quinoa Salad (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Soy-Free)
2 lunchbox servings
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 4 spears asparagus, cleaned off any dirt - tough ends will snap off
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup almonds (use raw, blanched or slivered)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup cooked cannelini beans
- 2-4 cups spinach leaves
Cook quinoa according to package directions. While quinoa is cooking, blanch asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove asparagus from water and chop into 2 inch pieces. Reserve asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining asparagus pieces in food processor with garlic, extra
virgin olive oil, parsley, almonds and sea salt. Process until you have a loose pesto consistency. Place pesto in a bowl, add cooked quinoa and white beans. Combine. Serve atop spinach and garnished with asparagus tips.
Protein Powder Hemp Hummus (vegan, gluten free, soy free)
Yields 4 servings
- 1 can chickpeas, or 2 cups freshly cooked
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 6 tbsp hemp protein powder
- Water as needed
Blend all ingredients together in a food processor, adding water in a thin stream till the mixture is thick, creamy, and the right consistency for your taste. If you like, drizzle with some hemp oil to serve!
I use the Nutiva and Navitas Naturals hemp protein, and like those brands a lot, too. You really can’t go wrong with hemp protein: it has a balanced amino acid profile, it’s rich in Omega-3s, it provides 10% of your daily iron, and it’s a raw, whole food.
Mexican Chocolate Mousse (Gluten-Free, Vegan, Low-Glycemic, Soy-Free, Nut-Free)
Inspired by Choosing Raw
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 4 avocados, mashed (equivalent to 2 cups of avocado)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle
- 10 drops liquid Stevia
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Using a fork, poke holes into the two sweet potatoes, wrap in foil and bake for 45-50 minutes, until the sweet potato is caramelizing (technical term: gooey).
3. Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool. Remove peel of sweet potatoes - you should end up with about 1 1/2 cups of sweet potatoes.
4. Place peeled sweet potatoes with all other ingredients in food processor or blender.
5. Blend or process until smooth. I recommend you make this the day before serving and store it in the refrigerator overnight to allow the flavors to blend, but you can absolutely eat it as soon as it is ready.
Super Quick Green Smoothie
Makes 2, 16oz smoothies
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 banana, frozen into chunks
- 4 ice cubes
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
HAVE A GREAT LUNCH! :)