- Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
- The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
- It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet. Sunlight exposure and taking a high-quality supplement is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body. Taking a vitamin D supplement during the winter months (and if you lack exposure to sunlight), is necessary to prevent deficiency and chronice disease.
- A person would have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
- The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
- People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That's why prostate cancerr is epidemic among black men - it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficienicy.
- Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calciuim absoprtion in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight - it takes months of high-dose vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
- Even weak sunscreens (SPF 8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease - by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
- It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
- If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
- Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
- Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
- The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products. You only need 15 minutes of sunlight per day (without sunscreen) to absorb enough vitamin D to prevent vitamin D deficiency. The pharmaceutical industry doesn't want you to know about vitamin D supplementation because they know this would mean loss of sales for prescription medications.
- Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free (Keep in mind that for those of us who live in the Northeast, 6 months out of the year we cannot make vitamin D from exposure to sunlight. This means supplementation IS necessary).
Diseases and conditions cause by vitamin D deficiency:
- Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
- Sufficient vitamin D prevents prostate cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, depression, colon cancer and schizophrenia.
- "Rickets" is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
- Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
- Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese people need twice as much vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is used around the world to treat Psoriasis.
- Vitamin D deficiency causes schizophrenia.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches and pains.
- Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% - 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week.
- Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type 1 diabetes over the next twenty years.
Shocking Vitamin D deficiency statistics:
- 32% of doctors and med school students are vitamin D deficient.
- 40% of the U.S. population is vitamin D deficient.
- 42% of African American women of childbearing age are deficient in vitamin D.
- 48% of young girls (9-11 years old) are vitamin D deficient.
- Up to 60% of all hospital patients are vitamin D deficient.
- 76% of pregnant mothers are severely vitamin D deficient, causing widespread vitamin D deficiencies in their unborn chidldren, which predisposes them to type 1 diabetes, arthritis, multiple sclerosis and schizophrenia later in life. 81% of the children born to these mothers were deficient.
- Up to 80% of nursing home patients are vitamin D deficient.
Sensible exposure (approximately 15 minutes without sunscreen) to natural sunlight is the simplest, easiest and yet one of the most important strategies for improving your health. Supplementation is also extremely important to guarantee that you are getting sufficient amounts of vitamin D throughout the year. I urge you to visit the NutraMetrix website to learn more about the high-quality Isotonix vitamin D supplement I both take and endorse.
If more people understood this information, we could drastically reduce the rates of chronic disease in this country and around the world. Vitamin D supplementation and sensibile exposure to sunlight is truly one of the most powerful healing therapies in the world, far surpassing the best efforts of today's so-called "advanced medicine." There is no drug, no surgical procedure, and no high-tech procedure that comes even close to the astonishing healing power of vitamin D.
Feel free to contact me with questions. Healthy wishes!
Alissa C. Robertson, MS, RD